Many people don’t realize that the patient care technician career is a great way to get your feet wet in the medical field. It’s very rewarding and has a variety of job opportunities, which includes dialysis technician, EKG technician, hospital caregiver, emergency department technician and so much more. It allows you to find out if you want to continue your education onto other pathways or stick to your specialty as a Patient Care Technician (PCT). This type of job has many important reasons why you should consider the career. Below are five.
- It’s rewarding. A PCT is essential to the healthcare industry and makes a positive impact daily to those in need. This career allows you to work with and build relationships with your healthcare team along with the patients you care for.
- Opens a door to higher education. If you find yourself wanting more once you graduate and gain experience in the field, you can grow your education into the nursing field, healthcare administration and more. Pima Medical Institute offers many pathways you can take with our associate, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs.
- You can choose where you work. Because you learn many different skills in the patient care technician program, you can choose where you want to work, such as emergency rooms, pediatric hospitals, specialty clinics, home healthcare facilities and more. You can even be a traveling dialysis technician.
- Enter the medical field quickly. At Pima Medical, once you complete your nursing assistant certification, you can move into the PCT program, which is only eight months long. This allows you to begin working in the medical field in just a short period of time.
- No day is the same. You will work with different patients each day, caring for them in various ways. Some duties may include wound care, recording patient behaviors, dialysis treatments and bedside care. You may also work with different staff, like doctors, surgeons, RNs or physical therapists.
We hope this has been helpful with your decision on entering the patient care technician field! If you’d like to begin working toward your future in this healthcare career, then get started today.