With more and more people seeking to work remote, as an Occupational Therapy Assistant trying to find that type of work can be almost impossible. While you won’t be getting hands-on work with patients, here are 5 unique jobs you can do from the comfort of your home.
- Telehealth. Occupational therapy assistants can work in telehealth; however, the jobs are limited and hard to find for full-time work. Examples of some of the responsibilities involving OTAs include helping students with disabilities learn better from home, performing detailed evaluations and assessments on patients, developing individual plans of care, determining treatment goals, strategies and outcome plans and much more. Most of these tasks will be done under the supervision of a licensed occupational therapist.
- Health Coaching. More and more opportunities for health coaching are popping up for therapists. Noom, for example, is hiring therapists as health coaches. The pros are that you get to do something a little different than therapy, but it’s still in your wheelhouse. The cons are that salary isn’t as good. However, you can get experience through Noom and other reputable companies and then start your own health coaching business focused on occupational therapy.
- Virtual Wellness Business. Create your own virtual wellness business. As an OTA, you can create plans and set goals for clients based on your knowledge in your field. You can build your business with the help of many online platforms to help you get started.
- Healthcare Recruiter. In this position, you can help other therapists find jobs, which can be very rewarding. Plus, you can work from home. You get an advantage in this field since you’re familiar with it and you can empathize with job seekers in your field and better explain why a job may be a great fit for them. You can search for employment on many different job sites such as travel companies, medical staffing agencies, Indeed.com, CORE staffing and more.
- Remote ergonomics. This is fairly new to the field because more and more people are working from home. You can teach people what they can use in their office and home space to help people learn and live in a more effective and healthy environment that works for them. To learn more about how you can work in remote ergonomics, check out this video.
Occupational therapy assistants can take many different paths in their field. If you’d like to make a difference whether in person or virtually, learn more about the program today!