Sterile processing technicians get to work behind the scenes in the medical field. They are the backbone of healthcare as they ensure all equipment and instruments are sterilized and safe to use in surgeries and procedures. They are also responsible for maintaining healthy environments for the healthcare team and patients.
Whether it be at a hospital or surgery center, sterile processing technicians are heavily relied on for maintaining the safety of their workplace. Take a look at the six reasons this healthcare career field may be a great fit for you.
- You’re a valued member of a healthcare team. Sterile processing technicians’ jobs are crucial in the medical community as they are in charge of eliminating the possibilities of infection while maintaining sterile supplies in hospitals and clinics.
- You get to witness behind-the-scenes procedures and surgeries. Although you’re not a part of the action during procedures and surgeries, you get to witness what’s going on before, during and after them, which is more than most healthcare workers do on a daily basis.
- Flexible work hours. Hospitals and clinics need their environments, tools and equipment sterilized around the clock. Some places offer morning, evening and overnight shifts, which can make it easier to accommodate your schedule.
- Workforce is in demand. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of the sterile processing technician is projected to grow 6 percent nationally, faster than the average from 2019 to 2029.
- This healthcare career will keep you on your toes. Sterile processing technicians don’t have to worry about sitting behind a desk for eight hours. You’ll be on your feet and moving throughout the day to collect, sterilize and organize tools and equipment as well as deliver them to their destinations.
- Complete the program in nine months. At Pima Medical Institute, you will gain the hands-on training you need in as little as nine months. We have real-world labs to gain experience in as well as knowledgeable instructors to le help you gain the confidence you need when entering your new healthcare career.
Are you ready to take that first step and begin your journey as a sterile processing technician? Consider our nine-month program to get you working in the medical field quickly.