Are you looking for a career in healthcare, that can make a difference, but without patient interaction? Are you a problem solver with a love for organization and an attention to detail? If you said yes to any of these, you might want to think of a career in medical billing and coding. Medical Billing and Coding professionals are the link between healthcare providers, patients and the insurance companies. Plus, there are opportunities as both a biller and a coder – so you are trained for two unique career paths.
Do you need some additional convincing? Here are five more reasons you might consider the popular career.
- Begin Work in Your Field Quickly: Many people either don’t want to, or can’t afford to spend years working toward their degree. Most medical billing and coding students can graduate and begin working in the field in under a year. At Pima Medical Institute, our program is approximately nine months. You’ll get into the field and start making an impact, fast.
- You Can Help Save Lives: Let’s face it, not everyone who wants to work in healthcare wants to work with needles or bodily fluids. And, while you might not have direct patient interaction, medical billing and coding professionals are responsible for providing complete and accurate information and records for the patients and the insurance companies. Medical coding errors can be deadly, if an incorrect code leads to the wrong treatment.*
- Medical Billing and Coding Is a Growing and In-Demand Career**: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics employment of medical records and health information technicians is projected to grow 11 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations. The demand for health services is expected to increase as the population ages.
- Enjoy Online and On-Campus Classes: At Pima Medical Institute you will earn your Medical Billing and Coding certificate through a blended program of both on-campus and online learning. You will take courses in computer basics, billing procedures, advanced medical terminology as well as medical coding and medical law and ethics for billing and coding. You will graduate ready to work in a fast-paced environment.
- You will have a Variety of Places to Work and Opportunity for Upward Job Mobility: As a medical billing and coding professional, you will find opportunity to work in a variety of settings including hospitals, physicians’ offices, nursing care facilities, pharmacies, insurance companies and more. In addition, as healthcare careers remain in demand, having your foot in the door as a medical billing and coding professional provides a great opportunity for additional healthcare administration roles. At Pima Medical, graduates of this program can use their classes to apply for credit towards our online Healthcare Administration Associate of Applied Science Degree Program.
If you are looking for a new career, whether you are just starting your journey or looking to start your second act, consider medical billing and coding. The program is offered at our Phoenix Campus, and while campuses are currently closed, we are still open and training students remotely. We are enrolling for the program now. We’d love to hear from you!